Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Thanksgiving Watch Out

(07*19*11)

Last night I cooked dinner for my family. It included: Turkey, mash potatoes, stuffing, carrots, and yams. It was so yummy. Most of the time when I cook it usually turns out pretty good, delicious, yummy, all the above, very rarely will it taste bad. But last night my turkey was impeccable. I don't think I've ever tasted a turkey quite like this one. It was so juicy and all the flavors meshed so well. My family nominated me to cook the Thanksgiving turkey this year. Yay! I'm super-duper excited.


Jay cut the turkey before I was able to take a pic but here it is cut on the plate
(These are cell pics so don't mind the quality)






I also cooked a scrumptious yam dessert and here is the recipe:

1 can cut yams (29 oz) OR 2 lbs of whole yams {you will need to peel & chop yams)
1/3 cup of coconut (I used the flakes)
1/3 cup of brown sugar
1/3 cup of pecans (chopped or whole)
3 tablespoons of melted butter - I did a little more because I love BUTTER (I'm just like Paula Dean..lol)
3 tablespoons of flour
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
Marshmallows - enough to cover the top of casserole

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. You will want to drain the yams but leave a little moisture. I cut them to bite size if they are larger cuts. In a mixing bowl you will combine all other ingredients (except marshmallows). Once all other ingredients are mixed together you will then add the yams to your mixture. Make sure the yams are coated evenly. Spread the yams in a casserole/baking dish preferably 8x8 or 9x9; a smaller baking dish. You will then top the yams off with marshmallows. I put enough to cover the entire top of the casserole having each marshmallow touch one another. Bake for 40-45 mins

I didn't have enough marshmallows but I managed with the few I had - YUM!!!!

If you try this recipe I would love to hear how you liked it!

Enjoy! <3

1 comment: