Friday, October 28, 2011

Recipe Nut

Recipe Nut:

This describes me in a few different ways. One being the fact that I absolutely love to cook. Seriously, I almost find it ridiculous how much I just adore cooking. There's something about it that I just can't help but start whipping something up. Second, I have so many recipes for things. I even have a couple different recipes for what started to be one recipe. Lastly, I'm literally am a Recipe Nut. I joined this site, thanks to a friend (Marissa), that you can look up others recipes and add your own recipes. I like it because you can store your recipes on this site even if you don't want to share that particular recipe with anyone else. Since most of my recipes are by memory I thought this would be a great way for me to store my recipes. And be able to share them.

My love for cooking started when I was a little girl. I would always be in the kitchen cooking at a very early age. My nana cooks a lot and it started off by her letting me help her. She showed me how to measure things and read what the recipe calls for. I picked up on it very young. So when I would go home I would put that into practice. I was always cooking these muffin surprises. Basically its a muffin with jam (surprise) in the middle. Eventually I expanded my horizon and learned to bake other things. When I was about 10 years old for my birthday I asked my parents to get me a "Turbo cooker". I saw it on an infomercial and fell in love to this cooking extraordinaire. I loved to watch infomercials especially ones for cooking supplies and this one I just had to have. To my surprise my parent's got it for me. I loved it and cooked in it all the time! To this day I still have that turbo cooker and still use it. There are tons of other cooking things I began to ask for after that. And then I fell in love with pampered chef. My mom was always going to Pampered Chef parties and I would tag along. I would be in awe as the hostess would do her intro for the products. My favorite part was of course eating the yummy samplers. My passion for cooking grew and grew as I got older.

When I was diagnosed with cancer the second time my cooking abilities were tested. As part of my treatment you have to undergo a diet to prepare you for your radiation. It was an iodine diet and the purpose of it was to starve your body of iodine so that when you were given the iodine radiation your body would soak it up. To not eat iodine is not eating any salt, any products that are made with salt, and anything that uses salt through its processing. What was I getting into? I researched, and researched a lot of information regarding the diet. I studied how much salt is in certain things and how much I'm allowed to have. It became an experiment that I was determined to get through. I came across a website that was designed for thyroid cancer patients and family. On this website was a cookbook that contained many recipes for your low-iodine diet. I was ecstatic! Now I have something to start with. As I went through the cookbook and started to write recipes for my diet. And it worked. It wasn't that bad. I continued this treatment for 3 years. Another good thing besides the fact that we were killing the cancer with the treatment I was able to loose the weight that I had gained since the cancer started affecting me. I had the cancer for about two years before it was detected so I gained quite a bit of weight in that time.

Now that I've been watching mostly the food network and the cooking channel being on bed rest I have brought back a lot of great memories cooking gives. I love bringing people to the table with cooking. It's more a bonding experience with your family and friends for me to watch them enjoy (or not enjoy) what your cooking but the meaning of being together and sharing the company with each of them.

Recently I starting writing more recipes. It's so amazing to be able to put together an array of flavors to excite your palate. I can't wait to feel a little better and put some of them to the test. I wrote some recipes recently for my friend and her family. It was an awesome feeling to be able to share with her some of my creations for her family to enjoy. A new founded hobby is writing recipes for people and including what they desire.

You can go to Recipe Nut to join, share recipes, and also find recipes. I have only two recipes on there so far so if you want to follow me look for Roasted Veggie Marinara Hoagies and Breakfast Egg Tacos. My display name is Mrsbefonz. Hope you enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment