Tuesday, June 28, 2011

My Memorial for a Memory

A cute litte pin I got when I was at the club

That's right, I said it, "F Cancer!" but I must admit without it I wouldn't be the person I am today. 

On memorial day I celebrated a memory from a new beginning 18 years ago. I can't believe 18 years has gone by. I'm truly blessed to be where I'm at no matter what. Thankful God pulled through and gave me another chance. I realize that through all the pain and sadness I went through and struggled with the past 18 years was all part of a purpose God has for me. He carefully designs all of us with new beginnings and each of us a certain path to follow. We may cross each others path at one time or another and that could be part of his plan. To witness his greatness. 

I was only 5 when I was diagnosed with one of the rarest children's cancer (at the time). It all started with a stomach ache I will never forget. After being sent home many of times saying that I just have the flu finally through an MRI the doctor's were able to see the tumor that was taking up my whole body. Before I could have surgery because the tumor was so big they had to radiate it first to shrink it. Once it was to a reasonable size the surgeon when in and removed one of my kidney's and the tumor. I went through several radiation and chemotherapy treatments before I was in remission from cancer. 


May 28th, 1993 (2 years after my diagnosis) I complete my last treatment for cancer. I was so excited to move on and be able to be a kid again. I was 7 when I finished my treatment. I quickly got back up at school by doing extension summer schooling. The determination to complete my grade without being held back, I was successful. It was tough though. Of course at that age kids don't understand what happened to you. I, myself, didn't completely understand. Unfortunately I was teased for being bald and not being able to participate in certain things. It was sad, I hated my life. I don't talk about it much but now I realize it was all part of my fight to live and survive even though some of my thoughts at the time wanted the opposite. 


I'm so thankful for everyone who stood by my side through one of the toughest times of my life. My health has been carefully looked at ever since then with some flops here and there but I'm determined no matter what to pull through. God picked me for a reason and for a reason I will let it be. The same reason he chose me to be diagnosed a second time 14 years later. This is my testament to God and the miracle he performed. 


I would like to invite everyone to join my team for American Cancer Society's Relay for Life of Pinole. I've been participating since my last diagnosis with cancer (2005). This year the Relay with be held at Fernandez Park in Pinole, August 13th- Auguest 14th from 9:00am (on saturday) -9:00am (on sunday) {since I have Bri'elle most likely I will only be staying on the 13th}. It is a great event raising awareness for cancer. I hope you will be able to join. 


Please see my personal URL Brandi's Relay Page to join my team and donate.


I appreciate everyone who supports me in this special event. Every year I keep my fingers crossed that my team will grow bigger and I will have the support from family and friends. 


After my treatments - school picture.


I was only able to find one picture in all my moms albums and I was trying to wait for her to get some more down for me but I didn't want to stall on this post any longer.



I'm thankful for every breath I take and everyday I live. Each day is not promised. I love each and everyone who is a part of my life.  

<3

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your story!! God knows what we can and cant handle. Everything is for His glory! Priase God! I love you girl!

    I am totally going to check out your URL and I so want to be apart of your team!! I want to be there with you on aug 13th! Hopefully, I will have everything down with my 3 girls by then so I can be there!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brandi....I love you so much and you are one of my dearest friends in life. I'm so grateful that you have gotten through all that you have and you are definitely the strongest person I've ever met. God is so great and we are all so blessed to have you in our lives. God definitely had a special plan for you! I will be there for sure for the Relay :)
    And last but not least "FUCK cancer" ;) Love those pins. That is a great way to use that word!!!

    ReplyDelete