Saturday, July 24, 2010

First Mom-attack

A week ago from this past Thursday I went with my bestie Sherin shopping in Walnut Creek. It was such a lovely evening. The air was nice and crisp but it wasn't cold. Since it was summer there were lots of couples and families window shopping just like we were. As were strolling on by all of a sudden I feel something off, so I stop the stroller and as I go to look at Bri'elle I notice she isn't in her stroller anymore. I just see this little baby laying face first on the ground screaming crying. Of course I swoop her up in an instant. I just couldn't believe it. I wanted to start crying right there on the spot. A lady came over to help but there really wasn't much anyone could do but offer the sympathy for a mom who just watch her baby girl get her. The lady handed Sherin Bri'elles blankie that luckily fell with her. When she had slipped underneath the tray the blanket landed on the ground first. This allowed Bri'elle to fall perfectly on top of it besides one of her knees. Quickly Sherin and I kept going back and forth looking her over for any scratches, bruises, or bumps. Neither one of us noticed anything wrong besides Bri'elle being a little shaken up. I kept thinking to myself what do I do, what should I do. I wasn't sure if I should take her to the ER to get thoroughly looked over or what. I think Sherin read my blank expression because even at one point she asked me if I wanted to go. After about 5 minutes of crying and comforting, Bri'elle was herself again. Talking and smiling away. Once I seen that I decided to stay and just keep an eye on her. The incident had me so stirred and I felt totally horrible for the fact that I couldn't answer the question of how she got out of her stroller. I wasn't sure if she unbuckled herself, if the buckle came undone, if it wasn't buckled all the way, or if she simply just wasn't buckled. It still boggles my mind. I just don't know! And I don't like not knowing. To help make Bri'elle better we went in to one of the nearby baby stores and I bought her a new pair of stunner shades. They are so cute. I'll have to get a picture of her in them. I let her wear them as soon as they were paid for. She actually kept them on for a good 20 minutes. She was very proud to have something new and I think it did help make her feel a little better. I read that most of the time a baby just needs distraction of whatever it is that makes them feel sad, annoyed, upset, lonely, etc... I think the sunglasses did just the trick.

I just can't believe the anxiety that a fall like that makes a mother feel. I don't know if I could handle anything worse than that. Another thing is, is that it happened in public and you don't know if the other people who saw it happen think to themselves. I remember instantly wondering if they think I'm a bad mommy and how could I have let it happen. But after telling my mom the story and then thinking about it. All moms have their own experience with something like this and should be supportive and understanding. Its an awful thing that we can't really prevent; some things just really do happen. Most happen within a blink of an eye. I'm just really glad Bri'elle didn't suffer any major or minor injuries. I'm sure that wasn't the last of the falls especially when she starts walking. Just think in about 16 years I could be facing a crying teenager who got her heart broken. I better prepare myself now for this.

Good luck to all you moms-to-be out there; I'll pray for all you moms out there with infants & toddlers; & major props to all those moms that have been there and done that.

No comments:

Post a Comment