We love the beginning of the year when we get to file for taxes. Especially since we get money back. I guess that would've been a given. We filed late this year. I waited about a week before the deadline was, to actually finish them and mail them in. We do direct deposit so they came back to us really quick. With this said, I'm proud to say, Jay and I are back in the house hunting business. It will be a long process until we are ready to purchase a home but we have our goals set and are now talking about our plans in the next year or so.
All this was prompted by getting taxes back. This will be the only time I thank Uncle Sam {lol}. Jays bills are almost completely payed off including his car. We then are going to pay off some of mine as well as eliminate what Jay has in collections. When we first got together that boy had so many credit cards and since he was a party animal and made a good amount of money he blew it. If only we could go back in time now. I basically told him he needed to get his act together if he wanted to have a relationship with me since we were getting serious. We worked so hard to get things out of collections and did the "right thing" and then we were shot back when he was laid off. Jay felt bad if anything of mine would've went to collections so we paid my bills or should I say those that we were able to. Luckily, since I work for a billing/collection agency I know how to work my way through the delinquent bills. Since then we have been trying to catch up. I would say now we are pretty much there. I'm so proud of us!
Over the next 6 months we are going to watch our credits and pretty much try to get them as close to perfect. Your credit score is very important in todays economy. Not only are we going to pay bills another step we are starting to do is save for our down payment, our back up money, and house money. I have learned a lot the past few years about purchasing a house and one thing I have learned is you got to have a decent down payment. I told Jay that I did not feel comfortable buying a house unless we have at least $15,000 to put down, and he agrees. I have gotten advice and everyone says to save as much as you can and not be in a hurry. I would really like to aim for $20,000 but we are going to see how it goes and take baby steps. As for our back up, we want to save a little extra money for any mishaps. You never know what can happen to you in this economy right now which we have experienced. We would feel better knowing we have that extra money to cover us. A lot of people don't have this either because they think it can't happen to them and are to comfortable in the places they are at or never think of it. I know so many people who lost their homes and their advice was that if they would've not been so hard headed and spent so much money here and there they would've been able to remain in their home. It is very sad and the rest of us have to learn from these types of unfortunate happenings.
Jay and I have bought things here and there for our future home. We keep all the stuff in storage so it will be brand new when we get to move. Until we move we are going to keep purchasing little things (only if they are on sale) that we need for our home. The only downside is that we have no clue what our home looks like (not counting the one I can see in my mind) so we are working with an open slate. Any extra money for the house is going to be put into the house. I want to be able to buy all of the appliances (if they are not included) and furniture when we have the keys in our hands and before we move in. We are hoping to buy a newer house or a house for really cheap that we can redesign and make it a new house. We are up for the challenge and I think it is pretty neat when you "flip" a home or "demolish" the original layout. That is exactly what our house fund will be for.
As this is the beginning of our process some things will change and some things will not. We set these goals as our preliminary process. We know what we want and how to get there it just depends which path we decide to take and if there will be any shortcuts or deadends. The plans we mapped out will allow ourselves time to be prepared and we will not feel rushed or pressured when the official house hunt begins.
I'm so excited for this next phase of life. Both of us are beyond ready to be in a house that we can have all to ourselves. I can remember back to when my parents took vacation and I had the house all to my own. I was so excited. I rearranged the furniture and cabinets. The duties I was left with was to watch my sisters. At 18/19 most teens think PAAARRTAAAYYY, but I thought of it as a way to be responsible and get a taste of what homeownership is. That is exactly what I got and I wanted more. Before I bought my mustang I was actually looking around to save for a house. At that time the house market was at a steady pace. My mom and I went around looking at houses and I had already started saving, but having a brand new car was also appealing to me. The car came first obviously. Too bad! But I did learn a lot from the experience. Now I can look forward to buying a home with my soulmate. To build a future in and a home. One can dream and my dream will come true when I'm granted my home - A place that will be the definition of love, family, & happiness.
No comments:
Post a Comment