Tuesday, January 25, 2011

January 13th 2011

This day marked a day that I will remember for the rest of my live. This day not only brought tears and sorrow but the life ended for the greatest women that has been a part of my life. Today, this day, my grandma Josephine Ann Edmunds was sent back to heaven.

Before I go into the heartbreak let me tell you a little bit about my grandma.
She was born March 11th 1923. The oldest daughter of 4. She married my grandpa Edmunds (who've I never met). Together they had 10 children, 5 girls and 5 boys. When my uncle who is the youngest was 14 my grandfather passed away. My grandma then raised the family by herself. She was a catholic women who stood by her faith. In all the years I've spent with her (and from what I'm hearing all the years spent with my aunts and uncles) my grandma NEVER raised her voice. You know that when grandma said no, it was no! She NEVER talked bad about anybody and was filled with the most love and peace God could have gifted to someone. Her motto was "It'll be alright, we can work through it". No matter what the situation was! She always had a positive outlook. There was so much peace and modesty in her house. When you went to her house, the second you stepped through the door you were surrounded by peace like you were floating on the clouds of heaven. You would literally walk out her house forgetting what was wrong in your life because "everything would be okay".
What a woman!!!!

The weekend before my grandma had passed away my dad said she wasn't doing well. She had fallen a few days before that outside on the cement. There were a lot of days throughout the year that my grandma wasn't doing well, but not this time. She knew it was time and she was ready. The day before my grandma passed away she was unconscious but she could still hear voices and feel your touch. I went over there to comfort her and even though I wouldn't admit it, I was telling her goodbye. She laid there on the couch with someone supporting her back (at the time it was my dad). A lot of my Uncles, Aunts, and some cousins were there. Our family which at this time consisted of my dad, my sister Haley, my brother Corey, and my mom gathered around my grandma together. I held her hand and rubbed it, told her how beautiful she looked (despite the situation). I just talked to her and told her how much I loved her. When we were leaving I told her that I would see her again later. Later that night we went back. This time it was more people from my family. Jay had came to give support to the family and to say his goodbyes.

The next day I received a phone call from my mom letting me know grandma peacefully went home. I was guaranteed that grandma was in no pain. That afternoon we went over to gram's house to see her off. A good portion of the family was there, even Bri'elle. My dad carried Bri'elle up to my grandma where she laid on the couch. Bri'elle blew a kiss to her and waved. It was so sad but it was good knowing bri'elle could see my grandma the last time and tell her goodbye. As they led my grandma out we all followed waving goodbye and telling her we will see her later. Bri'elle waved this whole time and I think she even understood what was going on because she had a very sad look on her face and kept blowing kisses to her until the van drove off. Once we all settled back inside one of my Aunt's spoke telling us how much she admired the strength our family had and how proud she was of us. She told us how grandma already had everything planned out, from the priest to the outfit that she would be wearing. And then next thing that happened was varieties of ice cream waiting for all of us courtesy of my grandma.

It has definitely been hard since my grandma passed away. Her services were very beautiful. Her rosary (comparable to a viewing) was very touching. A lot the family members (including myself) got a chance to say something about or to our grandma. Tons of people attended, even some of my families friends growing up showing their respect. We had some family from my grandma's side come to the services (her younger brother and his daughters). That day was definitely a beautiful day. After the funeral and reception the celebration continued to her house until about 11:00 pm. A good time celebrating a person who well deserved it.

My grandma was a legacy, a matriarch, a monarch of a family. Each of us was left a piece of her. It's funny how in the worse of situations it brings people together but my grandma's passing has definitely made the whole family closer.

I think back and it hurts because there are things that I know I should've done while she was here. You don't realize it until the person is no longer here and it's too late. But I then think my grandma would never want anyone to think like that. Instead to know everything will be okay and things will work out. You definitely learn a lot.

I'm proud to be an Edmunds, not just because of my father who I love with all my heart or because of the family I have but because of my grandma. She is and will always be. As dedication to my grandmother I will let her light in me shine and shine bright.

I miss and love you Grams!!!!!







<3
Mrsbfons

No comments:

Post a Comment